When you start talking about the different places that are famous for their marijuana scenes, then Canada is sure to be one of the most brought up topics. You see, Canada has often been associated with cannabis as one of the leading marijuana sources for many years now. Although it was only last 2018 when marijuana was fully legalized as a recreational and medical substance (more on that later), Canada has always been a constant source of marijuana seeds for people all around the world. In this article, we will focus on the different aspects of marijuana in Canada. If you plan on taking a flight to this cannabis haven, then here’s a simple guide for you.
CANNABIS HISTORY IN CANADA
The illegalization of cannabis in Canada could be traced back to as early as 1908 when the Opium Act was passed. Because it went on to affect the productivity and performance of workers in the early 1900s, governments and local authorities saw it fit to ban the use and consumption of cannabis. Later on in the 1920s, it was added to the list of narcotics that were deemed prohibited drugs. However, during this time problems regarding cannabis were still quite small.
It wasn’t until the 1930s that marijuana started causing legal issues. The first confiscation and arrest of a citizen in Canada due to marijuana possession took place in these years. Through the years, the country saw a steady increase in the legal problems caused by marijuana. When the years of the 1960s arrived, arrests made in connection to cannabis reached its highest peak. This caused the government to take action and impose fines and penalties on anyone caught using cannabis other than for medical purposes.
During the early 2000s, Canada established a Medical Cannabis program that provided patients with access to different CBD strains that could help their health conditions. Not long after, Canada saw an increase in the local seed banks being established in their areas. While it was still technically illegal, the government saw it fit to make these businesses operate under strict rules. Then when 2018 came, the Cannabis Act which legalized both the recreational and medical use of marijuana was passed. Ever since people have openly expressed their desire to visit Canada for its abundant supplies of marijuana.
CANNABIS LAWS AND REGULATIONS IN CANADA
Cannabis laws in Canada actually vary depending on the area or province that you are in. Here, we will list down some of the most common policies that citizens and tourists must adhere to when consuming, possessing, or cultivating marijuana in Canada.
- The minimum age in order to be able to consume and possess marijuana is 19 years old. However, Quebec has modified this into 18 years old while Alberta decreased this to 18 years of age.
- For cultivation, most provinces allow the growth of a maximum of FOUR (4) cannabis plants in their households. But this is not allowed in Quebec. Additionally, it must be done in secrecy in British Columbia and a medical license is required in Manitoba.
- Aside from Quebec, Nunavut, and British Columbia, there is no limit to the amount of marijuana you can store in your households. This means that citizens are able to possess unlimited amounts of weed as long as it is in their private properties.
- Some provinces in Canada such as Yukon and New Brunswick do not allow the consumption of cannabis in public places. However, many other areas permit this as long as it is a designated smoking area of the permitted establishment such as cafes and shops.
- Lastly, all provinces allow the importation and exportation of cannabis as long as it is properly sealed and packaged. Additionally, they are not responsible for any products confiscated in other offshore areas.
BEST MARIJUANA SEED BANKS IN CANADA
Much like coffee shops, local weed dispensaries are abundant in Canada. These are not just limited to physical stores but online shops as well. They are great sources of high-quality weed seeds and they are available to anyone around the globe. Here are some of the best and most famous marijuana seed banks established in Canada:
Marijuana is definitely an essential commodity in today’s Canada. Citizens of the country now have easy access to weed which means that it is widely accepted among all communities. It is surely a country that any marijuana fan would love to visit.